Retirement Benefits Deadlines Checklist for November 2022
The executive benefits team at OneDigital is pleased to share the following retirement benefits deadlines report, prepared by the Employee Benefits group at Isler Dare PC.
As we enter November, we want to help you keep a few key retirement benefits deadlines in mind.
Deadline November 14, 2022
- Confirm 401(k)/403(b) plan recordkeepers have provided benefit statements to participants for the quarter ending September 30, including fee disclosure information
Deadline November 15, 2022
- File Form 990 returns for tax-exempt trusts or VEBA[i]s if Form 8868 was filed to extend due date
- Distribute Summary Annual Reports to participants if Form 5500 deadline was extended due to a corporate tax filing extension
- Distribute SBC[ii]s to participants for each group health plan option that is offered. In addition, unless previously provided during open enrollment or at some other time this Fall, the following documents should be provided to employees and other required recipients: (i) an updated CHIP[iii] notice; (ii) the annual notice required under the Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act; (iii) a Medicare Part D notice; (iv) a notice of “grandfathered plan status” under the ACA[iv] (if applicable); (v) a HIPAA[v] Notice of Privacy Practices for any self-funded plans, or a statement describing the availability of the HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices and where the notice can be accessed; (vi) the ADA[vi] wellness plan notice (if applicable); (vii) the notice required under ACA Section 1557 (if applicable); (viii) Michelle’s Law notice (if student status is used to determine eligibility for any purpose); (ix) an ACA notice regarding choice of providers; (x) the COBRA[vii] general notice; (xi) the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program notice (if applicable); (xii) the annual No Surprises Act notice (for self-insured plans); and (xiii) any notices required under applicable state laws, such as the Illinois Consumer Coverage Disclosure Act
- Conduct annual open enrollment
- Review cybersecurity policy related to employee benefit plans and conduct annual risk assessment
- Hold quarterly meeting of the Benefits Committee to review investment performance, fees, plan administration, data, and plan operational issues for quarter ending September 30
[i] Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association
[ii] Summary of Benefits and Coverage
[iii] Children’s Health Insurance Program
[iv] Affordable Care Act
[v] Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
[vi] Americans with Disabilities Act
[vii] Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, accounting, legal or tax advice. Any tax advice contained herein is of a general nature. You should seek specific advice from your tax professional before pursuing any idea contemplated herein.
Securities offered through Lion Street Financial, LLC (LSF) and Valmark Securities, Inc. (VSI), each a member of FINRA and SIPC. Investment advisory services offered through Lion Street Advisors, LLC (LSA) and Valmark Advisers, Inc. (VAI), each an SEC registered investment advisor. Please refer to your investment advisory agreement and the Form ADV disclosures provided to you for more information. VAI/VSI and LSF/LSA are non-affiliated entities and separate entities from OneDigital.
Unless otherwise noted, VAI/VSI, LSF/LSA are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any other company, agency or government agency identified or referenced in this document.